On Saturday, we welcomed 7,000 children and families at Bookamania, CPL’s annual celebration of children’s books and authors. Bookamania is presented each November to enhance a child’s joy of reading and love of books by bringing to life their beloved storybook characters with stories, magic, music and puppets during a festive family occasion. The event, held at Harold Washington Library Center, was made possible through grants from the Chicago Public Library Foundation and Target Corporation.
A few Bookamania highlights:
- Chicago Bear Israel Idonije (nice win yesterday!), who also is a CPL Board member, took time to read to the kids.
- Children’s book author and illustrator Eileen Christelow, creates a character from her book, Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed.
- Storyteller Linda Gorham recited Folktales and Fairytales: Fractured, Twisted and Updated with Attitude.
- Jim Gill’s Family Room Tour.
- An appearance by the Kalapriya Center for Indian Performing Arts.
- A performance of Goodnight Moon by the Chicago Children’s Theater.
- Jabberwocky Marionettes performed Urban Animal and Aquatic Tails.
- Additional performances by Chris Fascione, Sean Masterson, Jan’s Clan Puppets, Lenny Marsh, Jasmin Cardenas and Linda Robertson.
The Chicago Public Library continues to encourage lifelong learning by welcoming all people and offering equal access to information, entertainment and knowledge through materials, programs and cutting-edge technology. For an updated calendar of CPL events, please visit our events page.
A big thanks to all who made 2011’s Bookamania such a wonderful success!