William Shakespeare - The Most Interesting Man In The World
In honor of Shakespeare’s 449th birthday week, we thought it would be fun to compile a list of little known facts about one of the most important playwrights in the history of mankind.
- Born and died on April 23rd.
- Introduced almost 3,000 words to the English language, including ‘Puking,’ ‘Swagger,’ and ‘Eyeball.’
- His wife was named Anne Hathaway.
- Shakespeare performed in many of his own plays.
- Abraham Lincoln’s assassin John Wilkes Booth was a famous Shakespearean actor.
- According to the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, Shakespeare wrote about one-tenth of the most quotable quotations ever written or spoken in English.
- The Shakespeare blood line ended in 1670 with the death of his granddaughter, Elizabeth.
- Shakespeare’s parents, along with his children were almost certainly illiterate.
- Shakespeare’s father, John was appointed the official ‘Ale Taster’ of Stratford-upon-Avon meaning he was responsible for testing and tasting bread and malt liquors.
- He married his wife, Anne Hathaway when she was three months pregnant.